Wednesday, March 19, 2014

The American Revolution From Scotland

The American Revolution From Scotland

          The research that I have done on the Founding Fathers has taken me to check out my own family history.  I have assumed for most of my life that I was from English background.  If my studies are correct, my ancestor Richard Webster came from Glamis, Angus in Scotland.  He supposedly was a schoolmaster and lived in Cambridge, Maryland from about 1704 to 1744.  This knowledge has spurred me on to study the history of Scotland, especially in terms of its impact on the Founding Fathers.  An excellent book to give me that overview of the country has been Scotland: The Story of a Nation by Magnus Magnusson.  With some seven hundred pages, it has been a long read but also an enlightening one. 

          There are nine Scottish signers of the Declaration of Independence: Thomas McKean, James Wilson, George Ross, Matthew Thornton, Edward Rutledge, William Hooper, Philip Livingston, George Taylor and Rev. John Witherspoon.  As I study more about Scottish history especially from about A.D. 1600 onward,  I am seeing many links between the Scots and the desire for independence in America in what became the United States.  Especially when one finds out that Rev. John Witherspoon was a direct descendant  of John Knox of the Reformation, this is really worthwhile to dig into. When one finds out that the American Revolution has been called a Presbyterian revolution and that Scotland had a National Covenant, I had better check this out.

          Being from Maryland’s Eastern Shore, there are many place names that have huge Scottish significance.  Queen Anne’s is the name of a county (where Charles Willson Peale the painter came from).  Little did I know that Queen Anne had 18 children (only one of which survived infancy).   A major battle was fought at Preston in northern England where 2,000 Scots died in battle.  There was also a battle in Worcester and Dunbar.  A lot of these names sound so familiar.

The Whigs got their start in Scotland as a part of the Covenanters.  The Declaration of Arbroath, signed in April 6, 1320 might have had something to do with another Declaration signed 456 years later.

This is just the beginning of hopefully more articles on Scotland and her neglected history.  

No comments: