Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Treaty of Paris 1783

In the summer of 1998, I took my family to see the National Archives and had an electric moment when I saw the Treaty of Paris 1783. The first words jumped out to me in bold print: In the Name of the Most Holy and Undivided Trinity We had to keep moving to let everyone else see it. I took my oldest son back with me to see if what I saw was true. Did it really mention the Trinity or was I seeing things? It did say "In the name of the Most Holy and Undivided Trinity" at the beginning of the Treaty. Who in the world would have written such a thing? Apparently John Jay wrote the treaty and the other people signed it. The French delegation called Jay "le Washington of the delegation" (John Jay: Forgotten Founder by Walter Stahr, p.172)
Would this be a correct portrait of the signers of the Treaty of Paris? There are many that neglect Jay and keep him out of focus or discussion. During the negotiations, Franklin was sick quite a bit and Adams was away in Holland trying to negotiate a loan for the United States. Jay's insistence that the three negotiators not take a subservient position to the French but instead act as independent negotiators also gives us room to thank Jay.

No comments: